14 October 2009

Out-of-Date Update

Its been a long time since I rock and rolled,
Its been a long time since I did the stroll.
Ooh, let me get it back, let me get it back,
Let me get it back, baby, where I come from.

Time rushes by like a bottle in the rapids; one filled with people, places and events! It's known as the beginning of the school year, and this ride is rock 'n rollin'.

This tumultuous year shows no signs of slowing down. We meet often (oh, meetings!), I find students to learn with and love, we travel on wild trips across the state, and my life fills with more than a little bit of chaos.

My desk is clean (again, for the twentieth time) only to be swamped with tests and essays. This is the life!

One of my yearbook editors, out sick for the last several days, visited my desk to conference about the photography test she made for the staff. We made eye contact and smiled, feeling dis-acquainted due to her illness, and it brought her up short. Her eyes fell quickly to my desk, normally awash in books, papers, passes, techie toys and other debris. It was at this point that her mouth fell open.

"Mr. D - your desk is clean!"

As if this were a revelation of the greatest proportion.

As if the biblical storm just ended and the waters receded.

I quickly pointed to a my in-box on the side table, full-to-brimming with newly deposited detritus from the vanishing flood. Today marked the end of the unit, due date for essays, and unit-test day. I'm so smart to ask for all of it at once, neh?

She smiled, handing me the stack of tests she graded.

Thanks, kid.

Once this flood is cleared away, maybe I'll gain a clearer vision of where we've been. Hopefully this crazy boating trip proves worthwhile. Perhaps I'll even catch a glimpse of the beauty of a stretch of silence. It may even happen before the next wave hits . . . on Monday.

Its been a long time, been a long time,
Been a long lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely time.
Yes it has.

No comments:

Post a Comment